Hello Everyone!
I think I said a little bit about this in the other email, but we were going to do a sunrise hike. It was going to be super fun but then we couldn't go and the APs had a referral for us that could only meet in the morning. So Monday morning we got up and biked over to this hospital that's pretty far away to teach the referral and get to know him a little bit. After getting to know him a little he said, well I'm going to come back on Thursday so you guys can just talk to me again then so we didn't really get to teach him much. It took a while to ride back and then we had an appointment with an investigator. We got lunch with the other elders, came back and did our laundry and worked out that night for a good hour and a half. That felt really good! We had some dinner and in the evening I got to talk to some people that I don't get to usually talk to because our p day isn't usually at night.
Tuesday and we went to Bro. Sun's house. He's a recent convert and he's opening up a bike shop. We helped him fix some electrical stuff in his house, put some new lights in and move stuff to where he rented the shop. That was fun. Then we got lunch with the district after some inviting time. We had a district meeting, English planning session, did our studies after that and then we had some time to go and invite our PI man. He was not there unfortunately.
We had a lit English class, it was so fun. After that we had a switch off. I had a good day planned and then we realized that I wouldn't be the one in our area I feel bad because if it had been me that was in the day I had planned, it would have been easier. But as it happened Elder Milang and the other elder that had to go do it had kind of a bad day, a lot of missed appointments. For me, Elder Smith and I went that morning to go track down an RC who wasn't at home. After that we tried to find a grandma member and we had some inviting time. We had good time talking to people and tracking down members. We studied and got lunch with an RC, Sis. Bo, who's super cool. She took her us to go see another RC and we taught her the restoration and asked for referrals. Then we went and saw Bro Rac who is a dater, he's going to be baptized here soon and he's so good. I felt really bad because I was so tired that whole day but it was a good day. We had personal study and then we went to this grandma's place and she had her super cute little granddaughter. So cute. She's been learning English online on Youtube. And she knew this phrase Thai; in English it's like, can you give me this? She had this little stuffed cat and her grandma would say, "*random Thai phrase*" and that's thai for, "can you give it to me please?" In the video, the way you reject it is to say, "NO!! It's my cat!" And so she just kept saying it over and over. It was way cute. We met an LA lady and she's really nice
We also met with an RC with a crazy, yet less active guy that just like went nuts with drugs and just had some really difficult times in his life. But he's coming back and update, he came to church. He's way good. Then we tracked down a less active lady at the army base where she lives. She wasn't there but we talked to her son and he's really cool. We were talking to him and we asked where's your family? He said, "it's just me and my brother and my mom." He's a soldier. And so we invited him to this YSA activity on Monday. And he said, "Oh, I'm not single anymore elders." And we're like, oh, Sorry. He's about 30 and he's got a kid that's like three years old. He pulled up his family picture and we asked where is your kid? I guess they live in a different province. But it was really funny. Then we got some dinner and tracked down another RC who we thought wouldn't really want to meet with us. But then he didn't mind talking to us. That was fun. And that was the night; we came home.
Thursday we got up and made our weekly trip to go see Sis. Tepe at her noodle place and we helped her out. She's doing pretty good. We saw the other Sis. Tepe who sells kep-mo, which is like fried pig skin stuff that's actually pretty good. It was hard to stay on topic because she likes to talk off topic and so does my companion. It's really difficult to teach this lady. Hopefully we'll be able to get her a date soon. We went to visit another guy named Budee at his house and he finally like let us talk to him a little bit more. Wed talked about the Godhead. He has a lot of Jehovah's witness influence.So far we can agree the Trinity's a false doctrine. After that we got some lunch, did our studies, had a good solid weekly planning session. It wasn't as rushed. We went inviting in a park and I met this Super Buddhist guy. We had English class it was really fun.
Friday we got up and headed over to teach Anon who sells like rice cakes that are really good. He kind of has a hard life and we're trying to help him. I'm not really sure how to help him, beyond obviously the gospel. When we got there he's sitting next to his neighbor and his wife and talking to him I asked if he had an opportunity to read the restoration pamphlet that we gave him last time? And he was like, yeah, I looked at it. This guy is like like 50. He said his mom saw it and she said that we shouldn't be a part of that. Sad day. We had an appointment and had to leave. But I bought some more of his stuff and he looked really happy when I bought it. Later in the day, we had companionship study and we talked about what to do with Anon. Elder Milang was like, drop him. He doesn't listen to us, he listens to his mom more than us. And I kind of agree but he's a super, super humble guy, super nice. I put a reminder on him. So he'll, pop up in a couple months and missionaries can go see him again. We met with a less active member, Bro. Moo, who has some form of autism or Asperger's. He's really nice and he insists that we let him help us, which really just means, because his memory is super good, he takes us to a member's houses. It is really good he helps us meet a lot of people. We ran around with him and found Sis. Nee who is actually not less active, but her husband is. She fed us some food and we made an appointment to come back the next morning, to serve her and meet her husband. After that Bro. Moo was going to take us to a referral and then he got lost and freaked out and apologized. He was very upset. We told him it's ok. We had to go and it was really sad. He was really sorry that w, got lost even though we're like it's okay man. It'll be okay. We did some studies and met with Bro. Olay (LA member) and then we had a such a good meeting with Brother Bank, the elder's Quorum president here in Ubon. We wanted to meet with him and ask him how we can better work with the elder's quorum and what we can do to help with ministering and all this stuff. We had a great discussion about why we minister. He and Elder Milang went back and forth on some thing. I like Bro. Bank a lot. He has a really good view of people, of leadership, of the Gospel, how real life works. He stood his ground when Elder Milang kind of went off on certain things and he said No, it's not going to happen like that. He said more in that hour and a half To Elder Milang than I have been able to say in the last month and a half about people and how to work with them. He's really strong. After that we taught a guy named Wene, gave him a restoration pamphlet and we'll follow up with him later. We came back and had sports night. I spent some time calling people, trying to make appointments for the next day because our day wasn't looking good.Then everything turned out okay.
On Saturday we biked over to Sister Nate's house and she had us do some yard work. There was so little like we could have done it in half an hour, but she insisted that we eat a bunch of food. And so that took a while. It was funny. Then we were right by his other members' house named Sis. Wan who is in kind of a tough spot financially. And so we went over there to see if we could help her. A couple months ago we helped her pull some grass out in front of her house cause it was ugly. By the time we got there this time it had already come back and so we pulled it out again. It took less time this time because it rained the night before. The soil was a little soft and it was really fun. She has a little granddaughter that was there and she just kept sticking stuff in my face as she was pulling weeds, so I'd pretend to eat it. And then one time I actually ate whatever she had. I think it was a piece of grass and I actually did eat it. And then just the whole rest of the time was spent her gathering flowers and me eating the flowers. She was amazed more and more as time went on because I ate all of the flowers that she gave me and it was really funny. And then her grandma said, "He's not a cow! Leave him alone." And the granddaughter said,"Yeah he is. He's eating all this grass." Then that led somehow led to a discussion about the dairy in Idaho. And I talked about how I've helped there before and she was like, Whoa, that's fun. We had lunch with a recent convert, Bro. Sun, and he accompanied us to help clean the church. Then we studied and had some time for finding and then we taught one of my favorite members, Bro. Poom. He's also a recent convert and it was really good. He disagreed with up to some of the things that Elder Milang said that I also didn't necessarily agree with but that I can't correct him about during lessons so that was good.Then we had dinner at a member's house and then we invited some new people to English class.
Sunday... Sunday morning we're trying to get people to come to church. We have a less active member named, Bro. Oon who we've worked with every week. We visited him every week for the past couple weeks and we've been trying to get him to come to church and we went to go see him this morning and he came. He was already on his way out of the dorms and said I'll be there elders, I'll see ya. And he came. It was so cool. We had a goal as district to have every recent convert at church and our companionship got everyone but one. That one, he was at work until 2:00 AM that morning and that's why he couldn't make it. We had lunch afterwards, did some dishes, did some studies and went to Bro. Oon's house. He wasn't there, but his wife was there who didn't get to go to church. We helped her do some stuff and that took a lot of the afternoon basically. We had to get to the church by 4:30-5 ish because we have the Book of Mormon booth that we've been doing at the market for the past couple of weeks. It's actually been doing pretty good, helping us get out and find some new people to teach. The sisters and other elders have found some good people. We were there for a couple of hours and then we came home. and. So good. Yay. We did our home and prepared ourselves for a fun Pday the next day.
My spiritual thought is from Elder Holland. I really enjoy his talk entitled, The Other Prodigal. It's something I've been learning about, something I've been listening to and reading recently. I have been able to be a lot more patient these last couple of transfers.I don't remember exactly why I started looking at this, but I remember an experience I had with it with basketball a couple of years ago when I was playing for Will Wang and I was playing with Austin Woods. I remember there was a time where it was big men against the little guys in a competition. The big men lost. The only big men on the team were me and Austin. So we had to do a set of lines under 30 seconds. I remember I did it fine every time, but Austin was considerably slower every time. I would just get out and run, no problem. Then I remember Will saying something along the lines of, look, it doesn't matter if you get done before 30 seconds and he doesn't. You just stick with him and you run 30 seconds together, and I was like, Huh, yeah. That's trueI guess. So I like how it talks about in the other prodigal, how the race is against sin and it's not against each other. You don't need to be jealous. He loves all of us.
I think I said a little bit about this in the other email, but we were going to do a sunrise hike. It was going to be super fun but then we couldn't go and the APs had a referral for us that could only meet in the morning. So Monday morning we got up and biked over to this hospital that's pretty far away to teach the referral and get to know him a little bit. After getting to know him a little he said, well I'm going to come back on Thursday so you guys can just talk to me again then so we didn't really get to teach him much. It took a while to ride back and then we had an appointment with an investigator. We got lunch with the other elders, came back and did our laundry and worked out that night for a good hour and a half. That felt really good! We had some dinner and in the evening I got to talk to some people that I don't get to usually talk to because our p day isn't usually at night.
Tuesday and we went to Bro. Sun's house. He's a recent convert and he's opening up a bike shop. We helped him fix some electrical stuff in his house, put some new lights in and move stuff to where he rented the shop. That was fun. Then we got lunch with the district after some inviting time. We had a district meeting, English planning session, did our studies after that and then we had some time to go and invite our PI man. He was not there unfortunately.
We had a lit English class, it was so fun. After that we had a switch off. I had a good day planned and then we realized that I wouldn't be the one in our area I feel bad because if it had been me that was in the day I had planned, it would have been easier. But as it happened Elder Milang and the other elder that had to go do it had kind of a bad day, a lot of missed appointments. For me, Elder Smith and I went that morning to go track down an RC who wasn't at home. After that we tried to find a grandma member and we had some inviting time. We had good time talking to people and tracking down members. We studied and got lunch with an RC, Sis. Bo, who's super cool. She took her us to go see another RC and we taught her the restoration and asked for referrals. Then we went and saw Bro Rac who is a dater, he's going to be baptized here soon and he's so good. I felt really bad because I was so tired that whole day but it was a good day. We had personal study and then we went to this grandma's place and she had her super cute little granddaughter. So cute. She's been learning English online on Youtube. And she knew this phrase Thai; in English it's like, can you give me this? She had this little stuffed cat and her grandma would say, "*random Thai phrase*" and that's thai for, "can you give it to me please?" In the video, the way you reject it is to say, "NO!! It's my cat!" And so she just kept saying it over and over. It was way cute. We met an LA lady and she's really nice
We also met with an RC with a crazy, yet less active guy that just like went nuts with drugs and just had some really difficult times in his life. But he's coming back and update, he came to church. He's way good. Then we tracked down a less active lady at the army base where she lives. She wasn't there but we talked to her son and he's really cool. We were talking to him and we asked where's your family? He said, "it's just me and my brother and my mom." He's a soldier. And so we invited him to this YSA activity on Monday. And he said, "Oh, I'm not single anymore elders." And we're like, oh, Sorry. He's about 30 and he's got a kid that's like three years old. He pulled up his family picture and we asked where is your kid? I guess they live in a different province. But it was really funny. Then we got some dinner and tracked down another RC who we thought wouldn't really want to meet with us. But then he didn't mind talking to us. That was fun. And that was the night; we came home.
Thursday we got up and made our weekly trip to go see Sis. Tepe at her noodle place and we helped her out. She's doing pretty good. We saw the other Sis. Tepe who sells kep-mo, which is like fried pig skin stuff that's actually pretty good. It was hard to stay on topic because she likes to talk off topic and so does my companion. It's really difficult to teach this lady. Hopefully we'll be able to get her a date soon. We went to visit another guy named Budee at his house and he finally like let us talk to him a little bit more. Wed talked about the Godhead. He has a lot of Jehovah's witness influence.So far we can agree the Trinity's a false doctrine. After that we got some lunch, did our studies, had a good solid weekly planning session. It wasn't as rushed. We went inviting in a park and I met this Super Buddhist guy. We had English class it was really fun.
Friday we got up and headed over to teach Anon who sells like rice cakes that are really good. He kind of has a hard life and we're trying to help him. I'm not really sure how to help him, beyond obviously the gospel. When we got there he's sitting next to his neighbor and his wife and talking to him I asked if he had an opportunity to read the restoration pamphlet that we gave him last time? And he was like, yeah, I looked at it. This guy is like like 50. He said his mom saw it and she said that we shouldn't be a part of that. Sad day. We had an appointment and had to leave. But I bought some more of his stuff and he looked really happy when I bought it. Later in the day, we had companionship study and we talked about what to do with Anon. Elder Milang was like, drop him. He doesn't listen to us, he listens to his mom more than us. And I kind of agree but he's a super, super humble guy, super nice. I put a reminder on him. So he'll, pop up in a couple months and missionaries can go see him again. We met with a less active member, Bro. Moo, who has some form of autism or Asperger's. He's really nice and he insists that we let him help us, which really just means, because his memory is super good, he takes us to a member's houses. It is really good he helps us meet a lot of people. We ran around with him and found Sis. Nee who is actually not less active, but her husband is. She fed us some food and we made an appointment to come back the next morning, to serve her and meet her husband. After that Bro. Moo was going to take us to a referral and then he got lost and freaked out and apologized. He was very upset. We told him it's ok. We had to go and it was really sad. He was really sorry that w, got lost even though we're like it's okay man. It'll be okay. We did some studies and met with Bro. Olay (LA member) and then we had a such a good meeting with Brother Bank, the elder's Quorum president here in Ubon. We wanted to meet with him and ask him how we can better work with the elder's quorum and what we can do to help with ministering and all this stuff. We had a great discussion about why we minister. He and Elder Milang went back and forth on some thing. I like Bro. Bank a lot. He has a really good view of people, of leadership, of the Gospel, how real life works. He stood his ground when Elder Milang kind of went off on certain things and he said No, it's not going to happen like that. He said more in that hour and a half To Elder Milang than I have been able to say in the last month and a half about people and how to work with them. He's really strong. After that we taught a guy named Wene, gave him a restoration pamphlet and we'll follow up with him later. We came back and had sports night. I spent some time calling people, trying to make appointments for the next day because our day wasn't looking good.Then everything turned out okay.
On Saturday we biked over to Sister Nate's house and she had us do some yard work. There was so little like we could have done it in half an hour, but she insisted that we eat a bunch of food. And so that took a while. It was funny. Then we were right by his other members' house named Sis. Wan who is in kind of a tough spot financially. And so we went over there to see if we could help her. A couple months ago we helped her pull some grass out in front of her house cause it was ugly. By the time we got there this time it had already come back and so we pulled it out again. It took less time this time because it rained the night before. The soil was a little soft and it was really fun. She has a little granddaughter that was there and she just kept sticking stuff in my face as she was pulling weeds, so I'd pretend to eat it. And then one time I actually ate whatever she had. I think it was a piece of grass and I actually did eat it. And then just the whole rest of the time was spent her gathering flowers and me eating the flowers. She was amazed more and more as time went on because I ate all of the flowers that she gave me and it was really funny. And then her grandma said, "He's not a cow! Leave him alone." And the granddaughter said,"Yeah he is. He's eating all this grass." Then that led somehow led to a discussion about the dairy in Idaho. And I talked about how I've helped there before and she was like, Whoa, that's fun. We had lunch with a recent convert, Bro. Sun, and he accompanied us to help clean the church. Then we studied and had some time for finding and then we taught one of my favorite members, Bro. Poom. He's also a recent convert and it was really good. He disagreed with up to some of the things that Elder Milang said that I also didn't necessarily agree with but that I can't correct him about during lessons so that was good.Then we had dinner at a member's house and then we invited some new people to English class.
Sunday... Sunday morning we're trying to get people to come to church. We have a less active member named, Bro. Oon who we've worked with every week. We visited him every week for the past couple weeks and we've been trying to get him to come to church and we went to go see him this morning and he came. He was already on his way out of the dorms and said I'll be there elders, I'll see ya. And he came. It was so cool. We had a goal as district to have every recent convert at church and our companionship got everyone but one. That one, he was at work until 2:00 AM that morning and that's why he couldn't make it. We had lunch afterwards, did some dishes, did some studies and went to Bro. Oon's house. He wasn't there, but his wife was there who didn't get to go to church. We helped her do some stuff and that took a lot of the afternoon basically. We had to get to the church by 4:30-5 ish because we have the Book of Mormon booth that we've been doing at the market for the past couple of weeks. It's actually been doing pretty good, helping us get out and find some new people to teach. The sisters and other elders have found some good people. We were there for a couple of hours and then we came home. and. So good. Yay. We did our home and prepared ourselves for a fun Pday the next day.
My spiritual thought is from Elder Holland. I really enjoy his talk entitled, The Other Prodigal. It's something I've been learning about, something I've been listening to and reading recently. I have been able to be a lot more patient these last couple of transfers.I don't remember exactly why I started looking at this, but I remember an experience I had with it with basketball a couple of years ago when I was playing for Will Wang and I was playing with Austin Woods. I remember there was a time where it was big men against the little guys in a competition. The big men lost. The only big men on the team were me and Austin. So we had to do a set of lines under 30 seconds. I remember I did it fine every time, but Austin was considerably slower every time. I would just get out and run, no problem. Then I remember Will saying something along the lines of, look, it doesn't matter if you get done before 30 seconds and he doesn't. You just stick with him and you run 30 seconds together, and I was like, Huh, yeah. That's trueI guess. So I like how it talks about in the other prodigal, how the race is against sin and it's not against each other. You don't need to be jealous. He loves all of us.
Over and Out Elder Ellsworth.
Comments
Post a Comment