Skip to main content

April 29th-May 5th

We've had some problematic things here at home... namely a flood. Lots of mess and lots of repairs and it's just a little hairy around here and I'm behind again!! Anyhow, onward. :)

Dear Everyone,

This is the week of April 29th to May 5th. May 5th, 22 months! Here we go. Last p day.... What did we do? We got up in the morning at five o'clock to be exact and we went fishing for like three hours. We didn't catch anything except for the fishes that we kind of stole out of another man's net before we realized that it was a net put there intentionally. Oops. After that we came back to the house and we talked to family for a long time and then we headed over to a restaurant called the Outside Inn and it is actually a hotel. So it's a play on words Outside Inn, Outside I-n-n... fun. Also on p day we got a new desk. So I have a study desk now that I can study on. I fixed my bike so my bike's all fixed up and now I can ride it really well. Elder Milang washed his clothes and I lifted some weights. In the evening we went to the church and met with an RC and a strong member and we got in a car and we went to the stake president's house and had an FHE activity where we tried to help this RC make some more friends. If I was a younger missionary I would probably think of it as probably not the best use of time honestly. I want to spend time with members, but I also want to invite, actually I want to invite a lot. I want to invite a lot, but at the end of the day, I know that member referrals give us better and more investigators that are better, but it's a lot easier to find investigators through inviting. Actually it's just as hard, I feel like, I dunno, it's hard. All of it. Finding people is the key to missionary work. If you can't find people you can't teach people. So we're working with that. We're trying to find some more people to teach.

Tuesday morning we went and saw this recent convert at his work and he's struggling, to be honest. He's struggling. He kind of has a mental disability to a certain degree and he was a referral from Salt Lake. He wanted to be a missionary. He wanted to be a really good member and he's really good. But he kind of just doesn't really have any friends at church and so he comes sometimes, not very often with his songkon, his sister. The people he hangs out with are construction, tough, rough dudes that smoke and so of course he fell back into his old habit of smoking and it was a, it was a tough lesson. Elder Milang likes to speak very straight forwardly. It's good. But like I dunno, I feel like Pres. Hammond and I see eye to eye on this thing where obviously if you were building a structure, if you build on a bad foundation, if you just build, build, build, build, build and you don't cut off things that are unimportant then obviously the building would not be very good. But I feel like people are different. I feel like there's never really any reason to be, unless you're an apostle, there's never any reason to criticize people or to tell people what they're doing is wrong. But we should really just be praising people for the things they are doing right. We should be building people, building them up because at the end of the day, the more you build people, the more they're going to want to do those things. And so the spirit will work with them. And they'll just start doing the right things. It's about building people, not just telling them what they're doing wrong. I dunno, maybe I'm wrong. I just like to show love to people, I guess. Anyways, after that lesson then we went to our district meeting. At our district meeting we talked about some good stuff and did our English learning. We had lunch together and then after that we had some time to study and then we visited these two little investigators. They’re little girls that are 14 and 11. The dad is a less active, I think I've talked about him before. He goes and does a yoga class on Sundays. The mom is not intersted. Fast forward to the end of the week. We've dropped them. Elder Milan wants to keep teaching them, but they can't progress because they can't come to church because the mom doesn't want them to go to church. They're really smart though; kudos to them they're very, very smart. After that we had some time to go finding and then we had some dinner, had some phone call time, and then we had our English class, Yay for English class! And then we invited some more.

Wednesday morning we tried to video call this guy.... here's a story for you. So Andrew Neely, Elder Neely, who is in serving in Boston, Massachusetts meets this Thai guy who is interested. And so he video calls us on Tuesday morning and we get this guy’s Facebook and then plan to set up an appointment and talk with him. So we talked with him, he says, he's free and we set up a time. We got up and ready to video call and then he was like, um, I don't really want a video call. Can we just text back and forth? Uhhh not really. So we sent a couple of videos about the church, about the questions he had and then we planned and left. We invited for a long time, went to member's house and visited him, had some lunch, had some personal study and other studies and more finding and running around. We taught our nurse who is an investigator and she's super strong. We had a good lesson with her and gave her a date. So good. Here's another thing... Elder Milan doesn't want to give dates to people that aren't ready but like at the end of the day, the date’s a goal, they're not going to be ready if we don't give them a goal right now. We’re worked g on it. We did some finding and we met with Sis. Oi, who's relief society president and the ex wife of a strong member in Chiang Mai that I met with back when I was a zone leader there and he's really cool.
After that we met with another member who has been a member for about two years and he's really cool. His story is interesting because his older brother, who is in Salt Lake right now, texted me over social media because I had connected with the local elders phone number with that social media account. So he found me and he started talking to me and he told me to go visit his brother. His brother is struggling with work and stuff and it's been hard for him to come to church and his wife is also kind of going less active but they're doing pretty good there. He's really nice guy, I like him.

Thursday morning we went to see an RC named Sis. Tepe. We didn't really get to talk to her cause her kids are nuts... just so crazy. The kids were wrestling all over us and we really didn't even get to talk to her. She was working around in her restaurant and the kids were running everywhere and when we tried to bike away they were grabbing our bikes and like jumping on our bikes. It was rough. We literally had to sprint to get away from them. We had some time for inviting and then we met with an investigator whose husband we've never met, which kind of makes me uncomfortable because I don't want to teach her very much and ask her to be baptized if the husband doesn't know what's going on. It was interesting. We went and visited this older man who we gave a Book of Mormon to and he really wasn't down to the whole changing to Christianity thing, but he said he'd read the book and in the end we taught a lesson. It was a really good, straightforward lesson on the restoration that took about 20 minutes to 30 minutes. I felt like it was really good. When we're getting ready to leave all of a sudden the two of them (my companion and the investigator) just started going off on these tangents and I was like, oh no, I don't like taking a lot of time at appointments. My companion feels like as long as they're fine with it, then it's fine. As long as they're not mad at us for staying there for a long time, which is true to a point. But if they just get the impression that we're going to sit there and talk for an hour then no one is ever going to give us another follow up appointment. After that we had some time to do some finding. Before English class we met with this super cool guy. We need to give him a baptismal date soon. He was impressed with prayer that day.

Friday morning we had an appointment with a strong member, about 10 o'clock. We planned to go to a local college and invite in the morning and that would be on the way to the member's house. We spent about an hour there and it was good. We found one person that we could probably work with. The problem is it turns out the member’s house is in the opposite direction. We got on our bikes, ready to go this member's house and I turn on the GPS to make sure we're going the right way and lo and behold, it’s like eight kilometers away, in the other direction. It’s not super far but I’ve been on a bike for a while but my companion has been out in the field for about two weeks and he's had a rough time. The first week was hard for him adjusting to biking, but he's getting a lot better now. Anyways, I kind felt bad for him. We met with this guy and he's super cool and he graduated from Utah State University. We asked him to tell us his life story. His life story is, he grew up here in Ubon and then he went to learn in Laos because it was cheaper there and he just didn't like the society and the kind of situation he was in because everyone just drank alcohol and smoked and he wanted to get away from that. So he heard about this college in Hawaii. And so he was like, I'm going to go over to this college. And it was BYU Hawaii. He got there and the first week he's there and he gets up one morning and no one's in the dorm. He's like, what happened? Where is everybody? And they all come back around noonish and he's like, where did you guys go? And they're like, oh, we went to church. And he's like, what is this church stuff? The next week he went to church and three weeks later he was baptized. He is really cool guy. He is the definition of a Jack Mormon. He's like a Thai Jack Mormon. I don't know how else to put it other than that. So anyways, he went to Utah State and he was talking about how he got his master's there and then he graduated from the University of Idaho, actually in Moscow with his PhD. And he, he speaks English pretty darn good and he helps a lot of Thai LDS students get into college and he's really cool. Anyways, so he's going to go back to an alumni ceremony in the fall of this year, when I’ll be there so i’ll see him again. I'm way pumped, he's way cool. He was asking us what our plans are after the mission. He was giving advice to Elder Milang about BYU Hawaii. And then he's like, well, where are you headed? And I was like, I'm going to Utah State. And he's like, what are you at Jack Mormon or something? Way funny guy. Uh, yeah, I guess I'm a Jack Mormon because I’m going to USU. anyway.... there's this little girl that was baptized the first week I was here about three weeks ago, two weeks ago. She is a way fire RC and we had her helping us teach these two girl investigators that we had. We met her at the church and she asked if she could bring a friend too? And we're like, okay, sure. So then she brings this friend who's a nonmember and I recognized her from English class and she's just like a 14 year old girl that's way flirty and always trying to like poke the elders and like tickle the elders. I thought, great. Of all the friends you could have brought, you brought this one. Anyways, it was a fun lesson. In the middle of lesson we had our RC bear her testimony and help us teach a little bit. And then when we were teaching, she was whispering to her friend, like all these things we were talking about and it was way cool. She's like teaching her friend a different lesson while we were teaching those two girls. It was a way of funny. We talked about the Gospel and we didn't give them a date, but we tried to get them to church and offered to pick them up for church if their dad's not going to go. And they're kind of like, well we don't know. Bummer. And we ended up dropping them. Later we met with the sisters and other elders at the church
to plan a member missionary fireside and we did our studies and then we got sucked into being at the Church for sports night, which is not a bad thing because we're with members. But at the same time we're not really out finding investigators either and investigators is what we need right now.

Next day, we get up and once again our plan gets wrecked. We got up and we had planned to do all of our studies, go to lunch and get some other stuff done. We are studying and about nine o'clock the sisters call us and are say hey our appointment fell through so we can meet and plan this activity more. So then we do our personal study and meet with the rest of the district to plan this a little better. Everyone came late and so we didn't really do as much planning as we would've liked anyways. Then we ate some lunch for our fasting lunch together, pizza. This month, President Hammond wanted all the missionaries to serve and help clean the church. And so we cleaned the church and that ended up taking like four hours. It was good though because the church here is really messy full of cobwebs. There's a section of the church where the air conditioning doesn't work and so people just don't use those rooms and they also don't clean them and so they were just covered in spiderwebs and just gross. We had a little no lesson and then headed back to the church to meet with an RC who is kind of struggling. I don't think he has really good friends at the church. I really want to help him. I like him a lot. His name is Pool. Anyways, after that we biked all the way to the bishop's house, which I thought would be like a six kilometer bike ride but it ended up being a 13 kilometer bike ride. So that was a lot farther than I thought it was. The bishop here is way cool. He owns a whole bunch of land north of the city and all of that land that he owns, he has rented out to members. So literally his whole neighborhood is just members. It's like you took this section of Utah and put it in Thailand.

So in the morning on Sunday, we got right to the church. We got on the clerk’s computer in the office, typed up an outline for our fireside activity and got an announcement made up for the Bishop to announce in sacrament meeting.
That took up our entire morning before church. After church we had a quick correlation meeting, which was really good. It was like the fastest correlation we've ever had. Maybe it's because we had it before lunch. And so everyone wanted to get out and get lunch, I don't know. After lunch we went with the sisters to give a blessing to someone at the hospital and that was really good. Hopefully this person will be baptized. She is the mother of a strong member. We visited another investigator who actually isn’t interested, sad. Then we invited and we found this really cool guy. Something I’ve been trying to do these last transfers is sprint to the finish. So I talk to everybody cause I don't really care anymore if no one is interested. And sometimes that’s just how it is. I feel like I've finally overcome the fear of talking to people. I'm really not afraid to talk anybody anymore. I shouldn't jinx myself... Anyways, we talked to this guy. We were U turning (So you're riding down the street and you see someone— usually that's how I tell the spirit is working with me. If I'm biking down the street and I see someone and I pass them and I feel I should have stopped and talked to the person. I just turn around and talk to him because it's the spirit, right. Anyways, so we turn around and it's called the uturn approach). And so we pulled a u turn on this guy and talked to him and he's kind of interested and hopefully we’ll be working with him. After that we went finding for a long, long time because we were going to meet with a less active member and his son who was recently baptized and they weren't at home. So we invited for the rest of the night before we came home and had some dinner and then the other elders showed up for a sleepover before our P day and we went onto the roof and it was super fun. Good Times, good times on the mission.

My spiritual thought for this week is about charity. It's something I've really tried to work on my entire mission. If there were a couple of things I wanted to work on as far as Christ-like attributes go, it's been humility, charity and patience and they all kind of run together and I feel like I've developed quite a bit of each of them in my time here. It's been really good. Anyways, I'm sharing it today because at the end of the day, I can say whatever I want to say and if it's not said with the spirit behind me, and if it's not said with love behind it, it just does not have any effect on anybody. That's just how it goes. You can't help anybody if you don't love them. So that's my thought. I remember Aunt Bonnie talking about how love overcomes everything. I think that's as true as can be. You know, there's really not anything, without love. Of course, the question is how do we show that love? How do we help people know that we love them? One of the easiest ways is you just say it. Of course, right? You say, I love you. There's actions you can do, there's service. I think the simplest way is just smiling and saying nice things. That's it for this week.

Over and out, Elder Ellsworth

Comments